Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Be Nice

You don't fight fire with fire; you fight fire with water. 

When you're angry and when you've been wronged, your first line of defense is to fire back. Right? But what if firing back is not the appropriate thing to do or only adds to the problem? 

I felt very wronged by someone recently. Man was I piping mad. I felt like punching something. I asked God to help me calm down. I said, "God please help me". And you know what? The response I received was, "Be nice". I smiled. やっぱり. (It's no surprise). It's no surprise that God would expect that.

Seems pretty unfair though that God would expect you to be nice when you are not being treated nicely. But it's kinda His way of doing things. I guess on a practical level, if you think about it, it does make sense. If one person is shouting and the other person responds by shouting, then what you have is a shouting competition. If a fire is raging and you add fire to the fire, you're gonna get more fire. To put out the fire, you'll need water. 

Being nice when all you want to do is fight back is a challenge. Although it might not seem fair, being nice as a service to the Lord will not go unrewarded. 

明けましておめでとうございます!Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment