Friday, September 27, 2013

The Joy of the Prize


This moment in time feels like one of those challenging moments. You know, those times in your life when things feel overwhelming. I remember last year around this time I had an especially challenging season as well. One scripture that I read during that period which helped me was Hebrews 12, particularly verses 1-13. It really hit the nail on the head. A few things I've been reading lately have also spoken about endurance. 

To be honest, sometimes I really don't want to read such things, especially in the midst of a difficult period. I don't want to hear that I have to endure anything. I don't want to have to deal with anything. I just want them to go away. Unfortunately, most things cannot be avoided, unless of course you plan to quit. 

I was thinking one morning how I really could just quit. I thought about my husband and how he sometimes has even more of a reason to quit. He is truly a warrior though. In the short time that he has been working at his workplace, many have come and gone. I too have seen the same. 

The joy of the prize however, is good motivation. Thinking about how I could choose to quit but have chosen to bear it, gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment. The power of God is made manifest in my life as I continue to fight the good fight. And then there are moments where I get to experience the joy of the prize such as when I meet students I have taught. 

It puts a smile on my face when I see students I've taught all grown up. Whether it is an elementary school kid now turned high school student or a junior high school student now turned college university student. I feel a sense of pride. And yes, I feel even prouder when they remember me and greet me. There is a boy who I taught in junior high school in the first year that I came to Japan. He's always glad when we happen to meet. We sometimes meet on the bus. I saw him the other morning. He wasn't in his school uniform. He had graduated from high school. I asked him his age. He's now 19 years old. He probably was 13 or 14 when I first taught him. 

I feel good because it's a symbol of how far I've come and how I have endured. It gives me reason to say thank You Lord for having kept me. 

I'll close with the Japanese version of the song, "Hold Me Close". Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. With growth comes maturity.........so proud of you. Keep doing the good work with god as your guide you shall become even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Tamara. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate your encouragement! God bless.

    ReplyDelete