Thursday, June 18, 2015

Meet SimmyBoom: A Jamaican Dancer in Japan

I have been away for so long. Just one of those things, you know. You get busy or otherwise distracted and you don't quite get to working on those things that you'd like to. Anyway, I'm back with another awesome story from a Jamaican who is making her mark here in Japan. Ladies and gentlemen, say hi to SimmyBoom.

Hi, Simmy! Please tell us about yourself and what brought you to Japan.


My name is Simone Symister-Salmon and I'm from Kingston, Jamaica. I'm happily married to a Jamaican and we have been living in Japan for over 4 years. My hobbies include dancing, socializing and traveling.

I came to Japan because I wanted to experience a culture different from mine; so when I was offered the opportunity to live and work here as an Assistant Language Teacher (ALT), I gladly accepted it and I'm tremendously happy that I did.

How long have you been dancing?

Well I have been dancing since I was 10 years old in High School; so, 18 years. But professionally, approximately 4 years.


You have been having dance workshops here in Japan. I'd love to know about them; like how you got started.

Fortunately I was asked to conduct a dance workshop for a Jamaican dancer who came to Japan. Although I was a dance teacher, I knew nothing about dance workshops. However, after doing some research, I was able to pull it off. After that, many other requests came for me to do workshops for international dancers but because of my busy work schedule I had to decline most of those requests.

A lot of friends encouraged me to open my own dance school, but I was hesitant due to the fact that my Japanese level is very basic; and as well as the fact that I think I still have a lot to learn as a dance teacher.

However, because I'm truly passionate about dance, I took my friends' advice as well as followed my heart and started my own dance workshops and collaborated with other dancers/dance teachers. Based on the turn out of those workshops and constant requests to continue organizing workshops, I would say the workshops were a success and I'm truly happy that persons benefited from them.

Simmy with her dance partner and a student getting down.


Simmy (in the yellow T-shirt) with her dance partner and some of her students.


I'm on a maternity leave from dancing now but will surely continue right after, by God's will.

Oh! Congratulations on your pregnancy! Any advice for someone who has a talent that they can share and capitalize on?

Thank you. The most important thing is to never give up on your dreams. Try your best to achieve your goals. One way this this can be done is by networking. You'll be surprised at how helpful some persons who you meet can be and the impact they can have on your career/talent. Associate yourself with professionals in the field you are trying to master and learn from them. You are never too talented or educated to learn.

Last but not least, be humble yet confident! If you're shy try to work on that because shyness/ nervousness can be a roadblock to your opportunity to shine!!

I can definitely relate to the shyness/nervousness part! It really is something I have to try to overcome. Any other thing you'd like to add, Simmy?

Don't be afraid to make mistakes because that's the only way you'll learn. There are many of you with potential so don't hesitate to maximize your potential by taking any opportunity you get to do so.

Love God and he will lead you in the right direction.

Big smiles from Simmy (in orange) with her students. Two of her co-teachers are also in the group.


Thanks, girl! And all the very best to you and your hubby as you bring new life into the world.

There you have it, guys! These stories are really inspiring to me; I hope they are inspiring you, too. Hope you can take something from what our Jamaican dancer has said, act on it, and realize your dream.

Be blessed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment