Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The Case of Abigail: A Godly Woman

I wrote this in my diary some time ago. I wanted to share it here but didn't. I think it wouldn't be a long enough post. Blog posts are supposed to be lengthy, right? But one of the reasons I started this blog was to share things on my heart. So I guess even if it's a few lines, I shouldn't let that stop me. So here goes...

Since reading about Abigail in the Bible, I've been quite fascinated by her. Her story can be found in 1 Samuel 25. She was married to a mean man, a churlish man, as the Bible puts it. But if her husband was so mean, why did she stay with him? 

Perhaps she stayed out of respect for God. Perhaps she wasn't even a happy wife. Perhaps she didn't even love her husband, at least not in a romantic way, but in a reverential way. Perhaps she was a wife who did all her widely duties because it was the right thing to do. What a woman! Could you do that?

Somehow, I think it was a case of deliverance for her when her husband died from his 'meanness'. Of course, she must have felt sad and mourned in some way. But she was perhaps happy to be free from such a churlish husband. 

What do you think?

Another reason I admire her is the fact she was referred to as, "a woman of good understanding, and of a beautiful countenance". Those are wonderful traits to have. Don't you think so? 

Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment