Friday, November 29, 2013

Developing Realistic Expectations


What do your expectations looks like? I think I need to develop realistic expectations. I need to know how to strike the balance between hope and reality. I need hope to expect God's 'perfect' for me; while facing reality, and understanding and not becoming overly depressed if things don't work out how I thought they should. You know, leaning not to my own understanding (Proverbs 3: 5-6). I don't want to be negative but I want to be realistic. So if things don't work out as I thought or planned, I won't end up crashing to the floor in disappointment and despair.

Hubby and I had an unexpected trip outside of Japan the other day; and having realistic expectations is what I spoke to the Lord about while I got ready one morning before our trip. I had gotten angry, miserable and negative the night before when things didn't work out how I had been planning and laid out 'perfectly'. Sadly, that always happens to me. I therefore wanted my reflection after-the-fact to not be only a reflection after I've reacted badly, but it should be what I am thinking about at the onset of trouble. Like the Bible instructs us to resist the devil (James 4: 7), and this is done best at his onset.

I was very happy that I had had that talk with the Lord then because while on our trip, a very unexpected thing happened to us that could have derailed us (our spirits) significantly. I had to keep reminding myself (my hubby usually handles things much better than I do) about the note I had made in my diary. Each time I felt myself wanting to get upset, I could fight it off with that reminder.  I also believe that God put the following thought in my heart while we were struggling to deal with the situation at hand:

"Not because there is a fight, doesn't mean it won't work." 

I was definitely encouraged by that. The fighting part can surely put a damper on your hopes and what you're trying to do but the reality is that, that's how life goes! 

またね!(See you later!)



No comments:

Post a Comment