Thursday, August 18, 2016

Lessons From the Rio Olympic Games

The world surely comes to life during the Olympic Games doesn't it? For a few days, people rally together, enemies become friends, and people seem to forget all about their troubles!

Watching the games sometimes gets emotional for me. There's just something about seeing the passion coming from these athletes that brings tears to my eyes. I have never played sports in my life, so I have no idea of what it means to subject your body to rigorous training. But as I think about life in general, I think there are many lessons that can be had from watching these athletes compete.

Here are some lessons I have learned from the Rio Olympic Games.

Lesson 1: Don't Cross Jamaicans


This one was from @jamaicangirlincanada. Too funny! 
If you happen to be friends with any Jamaicans on Facebook, or if you happen to follow Jamaicans on Twitter, you will understand what I mean by this. Justin Gatlin has been getting it left, right and center. I really can't feel sorry for him, because it's his fault. He simply chats too much!

Check out this video from @DuttyBerryShow. The song at the end, epic! 

We always hear that actions speak louder than words. Seems Gatlin has never heard of it. His endless chatter has annoyed us Jamaicans, and well we are now having a field day with the memes being created.

Lesson 2: Watching the Games From Overseas Isn't Fun



My fellow Jamaicans living overseas will understand this. A friend of mine who lives in Canada watching a race apparently upset her neighbour because she was making too much noise and didn't need to be screaming like that. LOL! If you're not a Jamaican you simply cannot understand! A few of my fellow Jamaicans here have had to be missing out as well because they are at work. Lucky for me I am on break now. But even then, watching the events on Japanese TV isn't the same. They are very biased in their coverage, and not being able to listen to coverage in your own language isn't quite  the same.


Lesson 3: Being Jamaican Is An Experience

If at any time during these events, you happen to your neighbour being raucous, and you are offended, then you are not Jamaican. Maybe my Caribbean counterparts have an idea, but anywhere else and you simply cannot understand!

There was a BBC clip showing people from the UK who were asked to make a video of themselves watching Usain's race. They were happy, yes, and cheering even. But then they also showed what was happening in Jamaica during the race. Pure excitement! Horns blowing, pot covers banging, people jumping, people dancing, all on the streets of Half Way Tree in Kingston, Jamaica. Half Way Tree massive big up unnuself! Oh how I wish I were home!

The games come to an end on Sunday. I look forward to many more exciting moments. But on a more serious note, what I really want to take away from these games is:

Lesson 4: Focus on You and Never Underestimate the Power of Your Mind

In the race of life, you must focus on your own abilities, and run your own unique race. Notice when the athletes get on the track. Everyone is focusing ahead of them. You don't find them focusing on their competitors. A certain man did this in his semi-finals, perhaps trying to copy Mr. Bolt, and it cost him a place in the finals.

You have unique strengths and abilities, and there is something here on this earth that only you can get done.

Comparing yourself to others not only robs you of joy, but keeps you from going out there and doing the best with the abilities that God gave to you.

There is nothing wrong with a silver medal, (no I am not making fun of Gatlin!), neither is it wrong to want the gold. Everyone runs to win! But you and I have to understand that there is always going to be someone out there who is better than you; you won't always get the first prize. But like Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce demonstrated after her third place finish after Elaine Thompson who conquered the 100m final, one must learn to graciously accept 'defeat' and be able to appreciate other people's strengths, and not be a cry-baby like 'Schweppes', as a certain Dutch woman is affectionately called by us Jamaicans, who has not been gracious at all since her defeat to same Elaine in the 200m. I am hoping that I can keep this in my mind every single day and run the best race of life that I can.

Then we have the power of the mind at play. Recently hubby and I were watching an interview on YouTube with Usain Bolt and his coach, Glen Mills. In this interview, Mills spoke of the need to be confident in yourself, as without it you cannot win. He advised to see yourself winning, and of the need to face the fear of losing. He used the analogy of a boxer in the ring; he cannot be afraid to receive punches. (You may search for the video on YouTube, "IMD - Usain Bolt 2009 - The Art and Science of Coaching (Part 3)" ). He also spoke of the fact that often times when the body doesn't want to go, the mind can give that extra push. Shelly-Ann's toe may have given up on her, but like a true champion, she didn't.
Shelly-Ann grimacing after her semi-final run. Image courtesy of sports.yahoo.com
This leads me to the next lesson to be learned, and the final one I'll share with you.

Lesson 5: You Can't Go At Life Alone



Until recently, I didn't really think about the need to have a mentor, or some other solid support behind you. But as I listened to Usain's coach, I realized how fortunate Usain is to have such a wise man on his team. I believe that having someone to push and guide you can make a huge difference between success, failure or mediocre living.











I think Canada's Andre De Grasse may have found a mentor in Usain. He's a wise young man!

These two are something else!


Til next time, remember to check me out on Facebook - Jamaican Girl in Japan









2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Ricky. Istill need to find a mentor, myself, even at this stage in my life. And, yes, I wish I was in Half Way Tree, too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Norman! It's back to our regular lives now eeh. Olympics done!

    ReplyDelete